& SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
August 16-26th 2021
Please note: Registrations are now closed
Are you an aspiring journalist interested in learning how to
produce solutions-oriented journalism? Want to start the academic year with a
published solutions story? Want to be in the running to WIN a full scholarship
towards a 2022 Solutions Journalism Without Borders study abroad program*?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, we invite you to register for the Solutions Journalism Without Borders Write-a-thon & Scholarship Competition.
This is a FREE opportunity for students and aspiring journalists to participate in online workshops, produce a solutions-oriented story under the guidance of course mentors, and network with aspiring journalists from around the world. Take part in this 2-week
Write-a-thon with Solutions Journalism Without Borders and you’ll**:
Learn the basics of solutions reporting
Write a solutions story about a response to a problem in the student’s local community
Connect with a group of aspiring and professional journalists from around the world
Pitch a completed story which, if published and successfully vetted by the Solutions Journalism Network will be added to the Story Tracker alongside award-winning journalists and correspondents
Receive a certificate of completion and a digital copy of Solutions Journalism Without Borders e-Magazine compiled of vetted stories produced during the Write-a-thon
*Please see below for Scholarship eligibility
**Please note that the sessions will take place in the evenings in CEST
(Central European Summer Time). However, we invite students from all other
timezones to register – anyone with a working internet connection
and who can watch the recorded sessions can participate!
how to produce
high-impact solutions stories with an online cohort of aspiring journalists
a solutions story on a changemaker responding to a problem in your
your completed solutions story
to a news outlet of your choice
(with a little help from us!*)
We invite aspiring journalists of all experience levels to participate in the Solutions Journalism Without Borders Summer Write-athon. However, to ensure fairness of the competition, has set some eligibility requirements for
the scholarship award. To be eligible for the scholarship award, you must:
Be over the age of 18 as the Summer Write-a-thon commences on 16th August 2021
Be currently studying or have completed an undergraduate or graduate journalism course/program or related course/program, or be an aspiring or entry-level journalist/reporter with less than 3 years' professional journalism experience when participating in the Write-a-thon
Attend all live sessions or, if you're located in an incompatible time zone, can demonstrate that you have viewed the recordings
Actively participate in the Write-a-thon slack feedback/networking groups
Submit your solutions story and feedback on time
For full Terms & Conditions, see below.
*COMPETITION GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. These terms and conditions apply to the SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon scholarship competition.
2. The SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon scholarship competition (the 'Competition') is open to aspiring journalists aged 18 or over registered for the SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon. Entrants must currently be studying journalism or a related course/program, or have recently completed a journalism or related course/program, or be an aspiring or entry-level journalist with less than 3 years professional experience. Employees of Solutions Journalism Without Borders, their families, agents, or any other person(s) connected with the competition, including third-party promotional partners are not permitted to enter the Competition. Any submissions made by individuals not registered with the SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon will be invalid.
3. Competition opens 19:00 on Monday 16 August 2021 (Central European Summer Time)and closes at 23:59 on Friday 10 September 2021 (the “Closing Date”).
4. Entry is limited to one per person. The winner is responsible for ensuring they are able to accept the prize as set out and in accordance with these terms and conditions. In the event they are unable to do so, then Solutions Journalism Without Borders reserves the right to redraw the prize.
5. Entry to this scholarship competition is free, but entrants should be aware that they may be subject to data charges depending on their own individual arrangements for Internet access.
6. To enter this Competition, entrants must write an original solutions story and submit it to Solutions Journalism Without Borders before the Closing Date. Entries must be typed in English and must fulfill the solutions story criteria. Entries must be the original work of the entrant and not previously published anywhere else. Entries must be factually correct and not contain anything illegal or defamatory and surpass ethical standards as deemed by Solutions Journalism Without Borders.
7. Entries must be submitted prior to the Closing Date via the official submission form shared by SOJOWB via email following the second SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon session. The official submission form must be filled out in its entirety and include the entrant's name, email address, education history, work experience, proof of session attendance or proof entrant has viewed session recordings, and SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon feedback. Solutions Journalism Without Borders judges must also be satisfied the entrant has sufficiently engaged with the SOJOWB Summer Write-a-thon Slack community throughout the duration of the write-a-thon.
9. Entrants will retain copyright in their submitted entries, however, by entering, all entrants license Solutions Journalism Without Borders royalty-free perpetual license to edit, publish and use each entry in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity and news purposes.
10. Solutions Journalism Without Borders reserves the right to publish entries (including parts of entries) other than the winning entry and publication does not necessarily mean the entrant has won a prize.
11. The individual prize winner (the 'Scholarship Winner') will be awarded:
a. one (1) full scholarship to a future Solutions Journalism Without Borders study abroad program. The scholarship constitutes a waived program fee. Solutions Journalism Without Borders is not responsible for any other financial assistance towards the Scholarship Winner. The Scholarship Winner is responsible for the cost of any flights, visas, in-country expenses, or any other expenses that arise as a result of accepting the prize.
12. There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
13. The winner will be required to submit valid identification before receiving their prize.
14. The Judge’s decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into.
15. Solutions Journalism Without Borders will not be liable for technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections that may limit or prohibit an eligible entrant’s ability to participate in the competition.
17. Completion and submission will be deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions. Misrepresentative or fraudulent entries will invalidate an entry. Solutions Journalism Without Borders reserves the right, with or without cause, to exclude entrants and withhold prizes for violating any of these terms and conditions. Solutions Journalism Without Borders reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions. Any amendments will be published on the Website.
18. Solutions Journalism Without Borders reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition (including altering prizes) if, in our sole discretion, a competition is not capable of being conducted as specified. Solutions Journalism Without Borders reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal value in the event that circumstances beyond their control make this unavoidable.
19. The promoter of this contest is Solutions Journalism Without Borders.
20. Competition rules published Solutions Journalism Without Borders.