SOJOWB FINANCIAL AID
In alignment with our dedication to inclusivity, Solutions Journalism Without Borders proudly extends a range of local and international scholarships, providing essential financial support to deserving students.
We are pleased to offer up to two scholarships, each valued at $1,000*, to international journalism students and entry-level journalists annually. These scholarships are designed to assist those who exhibit a genuine passion for high-impact solutions journalism. The partial scholarship can be applied toward participation in any of our Solutions Journalism Without Borders programs slated for 2024. To be considered for financial assistance, prospective students are required to complete a standard application via the provided link. This application should encompass the following components:
1. A personal statement in written format detailing their profound interest in solutions storytelling.
2. Links to prior work examples that reflect their journalistic capabilities.
3. An educational and professional resume that provides insights into their background and aspirations.
We encourage eligible students to take advantage of this opportunity to further their education and journalistic aspirations.
*The deadline for international students to apply for 2024 funding is 30 September 2023.
LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS *NEW!*
We are thrilled to announce the availability of up to six hybrid scholarships* for local students and journalists in each program. These scholarships offer flexibility, allowing participants to choose a partial or full remote learning experience according to their individual needs. To qualify for a local scholarship**, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Reside in or hold citizenship of a country featured in our program itinerary.
2. Be currently enrolled in journalism or a related/transferable degree (e.g., communications, political science, development), have completed a degree in journalism or a related field, or be an aspiring entry-level journalist.
3. Demonstrate a commitment to attending the majority of briefings and workshops within the SOJOWB program, either in person, via Zoom, or a combination of both.
4. Dedicate themselves to collaborative learning within the cohort and contribute to the creation of a solutions-oriented story, featured in the annual SOJOWB e-magazine.
5. Possess a proficient level of English fluency, both written and spoken, as this is essential for effective participation in briefings and workshops.
We encourage eligible candidates to seize this opportunity to further their education and journalistic journey with us.
** Scroll down for a full list of inclusion for the local scholarships.
**The deadline for local students to apply for 2024 funding is 31st December 2023.
LOCAL SCHOLARSHIP INCLUSIONS:
Accommodation in a semi-private homestay or hostel (breakfast included)
Pre- and post-arrival orientation and onsite coordinator
Welcome day consisting of a local neighborhood walking tour, team-building excursion and welcome dinner
Educational briefings and workshops on the theory and practice of Solutions Journalism, including guest lectures from professional journalists and thought leaders
Weekly networking events with journalists, community leaders and/or changemakers to facilitate and accelerate community and industry immersion
Personal development workshops
Logistical support & access to translators for field trips (as required)
Access to a ‘base camp’ to learn and work (including free coffee, tea, water and Wi-Fi)
Mentored collaborative production of one (1) solutions story, peer review sessions and guidance on how to pitch the story to editors from experts in the field
A special end-of-program presentation/community event
Certificate of completion
Post-program, a SOJWB e-magazine featuring participants' profiles and a compilation of solutions stories produced during the program
Fundraising advice, if required
Plus more value adds still in the works!
*Flights, travel insurance and additional meals not included